A drivers license is issued only upon passing both the theory and practical tests given by DVLA.
The test is open to all drivers in the process of obtaining a drivers license.
The DVLA regulations require that all applicants for the first time apply for a Learner’s Driving License first before being issued a Drivers License.
People with experience or existing DVLA licenses are not required to go through the process.
Learner Drivers License
A learner’s license is a prerequisite to obtaining your new driving license.
Prior to being issued a driver’s license, you must possess a learner driver’s license for a period of three (3) months.
Requirements for Acquiring a Driver’s License in Ghana
- One of the requirements for acquiring a driver’s license in Ghana is that you must be 18 years old or older.
- You must have a physical exam at any DVLA office nationwide.
- A Basic education (BECE) or Adult Education, as well as reading and writing skills are required.
- A passport picture is required.
- You need to pass an eye exam as one of the requirements.
How much does a new Ghanaian driver’s License Cost?
The cost of a new driver’s license in Ghana is GH 257.
Types Of Driving License / Classes Of Driving License in Ghana.
A driving license in Ghana can be classified into 6 different types. These licenses include:
- Class A – Class A license is designed for drivers of motorbikes.
- Class B – A Class B license entitles the holder to drive minibusses and pick up vehicles containing 1-15 passengers.
- Class C – The Class C license is issued to drivers who can operate medium-sized buses with moderate loads. The passenger capacity of the vehicle must not exceed 45.
- Class D – Drivers holding a Class D license operate coaches and heavy-duty vehicles such as buses, with a passenger capacity of 1-65.
- Class E – A Class E License is for drivers who operate industrial machines.
The process of getting a new drivers license in Ghana consists of the following:
- You will first need to buy, complete and submit a Form F and F1 from the DVLA.
- Thereafter, you will undergo a physical examination and an eye test.
- You will be issued a Learner Driver’s Permit, an L-Plate, a syllabus, and a Highway Code upon paying the required fees.
- There will be a 48-hour compulsory training course at a DVLA accredited driving school.
- Afterward, you will have your biometric data captured and schedule a written test, which can be either: Written exams (Computer-Based Test).
- A subsequent oral examination will follow.
- After that, you will have to take the in-traffic test.
- After that, you will need to make the payments for your driver’s license and P-plates.
- Your Driver’s License will be Captured.
- You will then be issued with a temporary license and P-Plate.
- Afterward, you will receive a valid Driver’s License.
How to Apply / Register for A Drivers License on the Online DVLA Portal.
In order to apply for a Ghanaian driving license on the DVLA Online Portal, first log in using the following link: online.dvla.gov.gh/sign_in
You will be asked for a Username and Password during the account creation process – you’ll then be prompted to sign in.
You will be successfully signed in to the DVLA Online Portal.
Now, you can register for a driver’s license online through the DVLA.